Types of membership
Existing members may also be designated ‘Ordinary’, ‘Life’, or ‘Honorary’ members. These along with Fellows are voting members who may nominate or second new membership applications.
The Application Process
- Review by the NZ Regional Committee (who meet four times a year)
- FCSANZ and Associate membership applications are reviewed by the Professional and Ethical Standards Committee (PESC)
- All applications and the recommendation from the Regional Committee and PESC are considered by the Board.
Types of Membership and Requirements
Applicants must be:
- Physicians and surgeons who are practising independently and have shown that their primary interest and commitment is the practice of cardiovascular medicine or cardiothoracic surgery, or in these allied subjects approved by The Society, and are at least 3 years post completion of recognised specialty training in cardiology or cardiothoracic surgery. Such recognized training would be Fellowship of the Royal Australasian College of Physicians with specialty training in cardiology or Fellowship of the Royal Australasian College of Surgeons with specialty training in cardiothoracic surgery or equivalent post-graduate training and qualifications; or
- Scientists with a doctoral degree and at least 3 years post-doctoral experience, who are conducting research independently and whose principal field of research is cardiovascular disease; or
- Individuals with demonstrated leadership in the advancement of cardiovascular health in Australia or New Zealand.
Fellows of the Cardiac Society of Australia and New Zealand shall have the right to use the post-nominal identification FCSANZ.
Subscription for 2017 is $535.20 (incl GST)
Applicants must be Fellows of the Royal Australasian College of Physicians or Fellows of the Royal Australasian College of Surgeons (it is important to provide training details) or hold an equivalent post-graduate qualification or have entered the advanced training programme of the Royal Australasian College of Physicians in cardiology or of the Royal Australasian College of Surgeons in cardiothoracic surgery or an equivalent post-graduate training programme.
Advanced Trainees applying for Associate Membership should use this form.
Subscription for 2017 is $245.30 (incl GST)
Affiliate membership is open to nurses, cardiac technologists and scientists, cardiac sonographers and other health professionals (eg radiographers involved in cardiac imaging, physiotherapists, pharmacists), medical students and other persons with an interest in cardiovascular medicine or surgery or research in these or allied subjects.
Subscription for 2017 is $47.50 (incl GST)
Nominator and Seconder Eligibility Criteria
- Only Voting Members can nominate and second applicants for FCSANZ or Associate membership.
- Advanced Trainees can be nominated by their Training Supervisor and are not required to have a seconder.
- The Nominator and Seconder must personally know the applicant.
- Applicants for Affiliate Membership can be nominated by either an Affiliate or FCSANZ. The Seconder can be either an Affiliate Member or FCSANZ.
Both the Nominator and Seconder must personally know the membership applicant.