Types of membership
Existing members may also be designated ‘Ordinary’, ‘Life’, or ‘Honorary’ members. These members, along with Fellows, are voting members of the Society.
The Application Process
- Apply in writing to the CSANZ NZ office using the form provided, signed by the nominee and the proposer and seconder (who must be current financial members of the Society), and accompanied by a CV of the nominee’s professional status, appointments and published works.
- Review by the NZ Regional Committee (meets four times a year)
- FCSANZ and Associate membership applications are reviewed by the Professional and Ethical Standards Committee appointed by the Board (PESC)
- All applications and the recommendation from the Regional Committee and PESC are considered by the Board.
Types of Membership and Requirements
Applicants must be:
- Physicians and surgeons who are practising independently and have shown that their primary interest and commitment is the practice of cardiovascular medicine or cardiothoracic surgery, or in these allied subjects approved by The Society, and are at least three (3) years post completion of recognised specialty training in cardiology or cardiothoracic surgery. Such recognized training includes Fellowship of the Royal Australasian College of Physicians with specialty training in cardiology or Fellowship of the Royal Australasian College of Surgeons with specialty training in cardiothoracic surgery (“Specialty Training”). Post-graduate training and qualifications equivalent to the Specialty Training together with registration by the Australian Health Practitioner Regulation Agency (or successor body) or New Zealand Medical Council (or successor body) as a practicing cardiologist or cardio-thoracic surgeon will be considered by the Board.
- Scientists with a doctoral degree and at least three years post-doctoral experience, who are conducting research independently and, whose principal field of research is cardiovascular disease.
- Individuals with demonstrated leadership in the advancement of cardiovascular health in Australia or New Zealand.
Fellows of the Cardiac Society of Australia and New Zealand shall have the right to use the post-nominal identification FCSANZ.
Subscription for 2019 is $660 (incl GST)
- Associate Members will be persons engaged in the practice of cardiovascular medicine or surgery or research in these or allied subjects. They must be Fellows of the Royal Australasian College of Physicians or Fellows of the Royal Australasian College of Surgeons or hold an equivalent post-graduate qualification or have entered the advanced training programme of the Royal Australasian College of Physicians in cardiology or of the Royal Australasian College of Surgeons in cardio-thoracic surgery or an equivalent post-graduate training programme.
Advanced Trainees applying for Associate Membership should use this form.
Subscription for 2019 is $295 (incl GST)
Affiliate membership is open to nurses, cardiac technologists and scientists, cardiac sonographers and other health professionals (eg radiographers involved in cardiac imaging, physiotherapists, pharmacists), medical students and other persons with an interest in cardiovascular medicine or surgery or research in these or allied subjects.
Subscription for 2019 is $50 (incl GST)
Nominator and Seconder Eligibility Criteria
- Only voting members can nominate and second applicants for FCSANZ or Associate membership.
- Advanced Trainees can be nominated by their Training Supervisor and are not required to have a seconder.
- The Nominator and Seconder must personally know the applicant.
- Applicants for Affiliate Membership can be nominated by either an Affiliate or FCSANZ. The seconder can be either an Affiliate Member or FCSANZ.
Both the Nominator and Seconder must personally know the membership applicant.