Rehabilitation and Secondary Prevention
On behalf of the New Zealand Cardiac Prevention and Rehabilitation Working Group (NZCPR), welcome to the NZCPR web page. The NZCPR Group meet once a year at the CSANZ Annual Scientific Meeting, have telephone conferences three times a year, and aim to meet as smaller regional groups at least two-yearly for professional development days.
On this page you will find news and information about:
- upcoming professional development days
- the group’s terms of reference
- committee members
- useful links
- following us on social media
4 November 2022: Cardiac Rehabilitation Education Event in Christchurch at Te Puna o Waiwhetū (the Christchurch City Art Gallery)
Read presentations from the day.
New Zealand Cardiac Support and Secondary Prevention (Cardiac Rehabilitation) Core Components
Terms of Reference
Terms of Reference for the New Zealand Cardiac Prevention and Rehabilitation Working Group
- To maintain a network of health professionals, across disciplines and the healthcare environment, involved in promoting heart health, cardiac disease prevention and rehabilitation.
- To provide a conduit for information exchange among members.
- To promote and support professional development through conferences, workshops, scientific meetings and publications.
- To encourage professional collaboration and research to increase our understanding of the most effective and efficient models of cardiac prevention programmes that are suitable for NZ communities.
- To promote throughout the wider community, an awareness and understanding of the values and benefits of preventing and managing cardiac and cardiovascular diseases.
- To advocate and influence public policy in matters related to heart health and the resourcing of interventions shown to improve access to effective cardiac prevention programmes.
- To foster links with other agencies that have similar interests both nationally and internationally.
Working Group Members
Cate Shepherd Waikato DHB (Chair)
Renee McEwing CMDHB (Co-Deputy Chair)
Julia Reynolds WDHB (Co-Deputy Chair)
Cathy Gasparini ADHB
Elaine Crighton WDHB
Maureen Spurway TDHB
Leanne Barclay SDHB
Lisa Smith WCDHB
Katherine McLean CMDHB
Kathy Patrick SCDHB
Jean Harris Central PHO
Ruth Davison CDHB
Pat Woodward WDHB
Jodene Hewlett WDHB
For more information, or if you would like to be on our mailing list, please contact Cate Shepherd
The Heart Foundation works closely with health professionals to share evidence-based guidelines, materials and resources to support quality practice and heart healthcare. They also run a number of courses to help with your professional development.
American Heart Association Guidelines
Clinical Performance and Quality Measures for Cardiac Rehabilitation
European Society of Cardiology Guidelines
ESC Clinical Practice Guidelines
Prevention and Rehabilitation Consensus and Position Papers
Australian Cardiovascular Health and Rehabilitation Association (ACRA)
Core Components of Cardiovascular Disease Secondary Prevention and Cardiac Rehabilitation
British Association for Cardiovascular Prevention and Rehabilitation
Cardiovascular Disease Prevention and Rehabilitation 2017
The Association of Chartered Physiotherapists in Cardiac Rehabilitation (British)
Information for Healthcare Professionals